Thursday, February 28, 2013

Skinny Mini Turkey Meatloaves

Growing up, my mom made a mean meatloaf. I loved it so much, that I requested it for my birthday dinner when I turned 9. All of my other friends had pizza parties and junkfood. I had meatloaf.

The other night I had a hankering for meatloaf. I wanted to keep it healthy, but full of flavor. And so these Skinny Mini Turkey Meatloaves were born.


 

Skinny Mini Turkey Meatloaves
1 pound lean ground turkey
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup milk
1/2 onion, finely diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon beef base (you can use beef bouillon, but beef base is better)
1/3 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
5 slices smoked turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled (I like to cook mine in the oven at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes)
 
 
Glaze
1/4 cup ketchup
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. )I used silicone muffin liners).
In a small bowl, mix together the oats and milk. Let the oats soak while the rest of the ingredients are prepared. In a large bowl, mix together the onion, garlic, beef base, barbecue sauce, egg, black pepper, and bacon until well combined. Stir in the oat and milk mixture until combined. Stir in the ground turkey until thoroughly combined.
Spoon the meat mixture into the muffin pan. You should be able to fill all 12 cups. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup and brown sugar. Spoon a small amount on each mini loaf, and spread over the top. Bake for 30-40 minutes until the mini meatloaves are cooked through.


No comments:

Post a Comment