Friday, February 22, 2013

Best Ever Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

  


My husband and I used to be on opposite sides of the Great Chocolate Chip Cookie Debate.

Chewy vs. Crispy

I am on the chewy side. I love a nice crisp on the outer edges, but the inside needs to be chewy! My husband, however, was brought up on thick, crispy cookies made with shortening. I like that buttery, melt-in-your-mouth center, while my husband likes a crispy cookie to dip in milk.

After several years, lots of testing, and lots of tasting, I have finally created a recipe that has won my husband over to the dark side.....I mean, the chewy side.

Best Ever Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

12 tablespoons  butter (1 1/2 sticks)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or more if you prefer)

First, you need to brown the butter. There are some great tutorials with pictures online, but essentially you melt the butter over medium high heat until it bubbles, foams, and the milk solids brown. It should have a nice nutty aroma to it. Allow the brown butter to cool for a few minutes. Then mix it with the brown sugar in a large bowl. Next stir in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla until well combined. Stir in the dry ingredients until well combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Refrigerate the dough until firm; about an hour.
When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Scoop the cookie dough onto a cookie sheet. Bake for 10-13 minutes (or if you have a husband that likes to dip his cookies in milk, bake for 14 minutes). The edges will look done, but the middle should look soft and puffy. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes, and then enjoy!

Adapted from Our Best Bites


 

No comments:

Post a Comment